Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Chicken Pox

Poor Lydia started getting a few isolated red spots on her lower back on Saturday. She was at the doctor a week ago for her vaccines and regular one year appointment. Lydia got a new prescription for her eczema so I didn't know if the spots were a reaction to the prescription or something else. So yesterday I took her into the doctor again. The nurse looked at it and couldn't figure out what the spots were. The doctor came in and looked at it and diagnosed it as a mild case of Vaccinia. Vaccinia is the actual live virus in the chicken pox vaccine. In short, she got chicken pox from the chicken pox vaccine. She developed the chicken pox spots, but didn't get the other symptoms like fevers or itchiness associated with the chicken pox. She is about 10 times less contagious than if she had the real chicken pox and she is only contagious until the pox (red spots) crust over. So until all her pox crust over we are stuck at home. It's going to be a long week. At least one of the pox has crusted over so I am watching the other 4.

On a completely separate note, I thought I was losing my mind yesterday. I woke up early and ate breakfast at about 6:30 because I was starving. While I was eating I checked my email and the news online. The headlines were all about this huge snowstorm Milwaukee was having. 8-12 inches of snow, a runway at the airport was closed, snow parking rules... I peeked out the back patio window and saw nothing unusual. No snow here. It even looked like it was going to be a sunny day. Weird. So I checked the news. All the stations had people standing in the middle of a huge snowstorm. Finally, the weather person showed the actual radar. It was only lake effect snow and only an isolated area south of Milwaukee got a ton of snow. No snow for us! Then I went back to bed until Lydia woke up.

No comments: