Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Monday, February 23, 2009
Lydia had her pictures taken on Valentine's Day. Portrait Innovations was a bit behind, but she was well fed and rested, so she did pretty good. Grace wanted to be included in every single picture. The lady taking the pictures was kind enough to take her picture when Lydia was changing outfits.
Since both girls fell asleep as we were driving home from the picture studio. We decided that we wanted a sort of good night rest, so we made a last minute decision to drive up to Freedom for the night. Don't read too much into our kindness of visiting grandparents. Paul and I just wanted someone else to watch the kids for the night. We had dinner with Grandma & Grandpa Pedersen and then went to Grandma & Grandpa Borneman's for the night. I went to bed early. Paul went out with friends.
Sunday, Paul and I went to a birthday party for Paul's brother-in-law Jesse. Happy 40th Jesse! Next met up with the girls at a birthday party for my Great Grandma Kamps. (Yep, you read it correctly, it is Grace & Lydia's Great, Great Grandma) I think she was turning 98. Then it was back home for us.
Last week everyone had colds. It started with Grace and slowly ran it's course through the rest of the family. Everyone is finally starting to do a little bit better.
On Thursday Lydia turned 1! Can you believe it?!?! She had a cold so it was a pretty low key day at the house. I made the girls monkey bread for breakfast since Grace insisted they have cake. What's a birthday without cake, right? We had cupcakes after dinner and then she opened her gift from us. Lydia is getting so big. She is not quite ambitious enough to stand or walk. It probably doesn't help that Grace insists she only walk with her. Usually their walks end up with both kids on the floor laughing, sometimes one with a bloody lip. She is a climber though. She likes to climb on the the couches and chairs and jump.
A birthday just isn't a birthday without the doctor visit that correlates, so we went to the doctor Friday morning. Lydia is almost 23.5 pounds and 30 inches tall. All in all she is a healthy girl. After 3 shots and her lead poisoning screen, she was exhausted and took nearly a 3 hour morning nap.
We had intended on having Lydia's birthday party on Saturday morning, but we woke up to lots of snow. Plus, Grandpa Borneman was working (becauseof the snow), and Grandma & Grandpa Pedersen and cousin Erick were all sick. So we pushed it back until Sunday.
Yesterday we finally had Lydia's party. (Grace was losing patience with all the waiting.) I was feeling a little bit lazy compared to Grace's first birthday party. I made a cute little bathtub cake with rubber duckies. I almost resorted to a store bought cake. At the last minute I decided we would make ice cream cone cupcakes and decorate them like little flower planters. Lydia was much more typical one year old with cake and frosting everywhere. There are times when I learn to appreciate that she has no hair since it makes cleaning her after meal times so much easier.
Lydia barely opened any gifts. Grace and Nona helped her out a bit. She loved playing with the wrapping paper and the bags. I am sure she will enjoy the other gifts as well when she is over her paper fetish.
It was really nice to see our families. I am a little glad to be done with birthdays for a couple of weeks. At least until March.
This morning the girls and I went to Family Funland. I love indoor playgrounds. Nothing wears the girls out more than nonstop running up and down for a couple hours faster. Plus, it gives me a nice little break when we get home as they nap for a couple hours. Although, I think it just makes me want spring to come even sooner. I can't wait until I can just take them to a park and them run.
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
- Paul and I think we are on the home stretch of potty training Grace. She has been wearing underpants during the day for the past few weeks with only a few accidents. Tomorrow night we are going to try switching from Pull ups to underpants at night too. She's woken up dry for the past few weeks and has got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom! Yeah Grace!
- Grace likes to play hide and seek although I don't think she quite gets the entire concept. She tells you where to hide and then she leaves to count. When she is done counting, hopefully she comes to find you before she gets distracted with something else.
- Lydia will be 1 next week! I can't believe she is already a year old. She isn't quite walking, but she is definitely making up for it climbing. She really enjoys standing on her rocking chair and rocking until she flips it right over. Then she laughs, crawls back up there and does it again.
- Both girls continue to grow and amaze (and worry) us every day. Last night Paul put Grace to bed. When I went to bed, I didn't check on her because I could hear her singing songs to her babies. Paul checked on her before he went to bed and she wasn't in bed. He figured she crawled into bed with me, but she wasn't in our bed either. After freaking out a bit, he found her asleep on her closet floor.
- One morning Grace thought it would be a lot of fun to pull Lydia around the floor. Lydia thought it was great!